Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Last Supper

Appropriately so, I enjoyed Wienerschnitzel as my final meal in Vienna before returning home. Although I've tasted some fine schnitzel over these past nine months, tonight's was especially good. Ben, one of Michael's friends from Houston, came to visit for a few days and joined Michael, Richard, and me for dinner. Having familiar faces with which to share meals makes a big difference for me. Until recently, our family had been the only visitors (which we greatly appreciate), and it's been refreshing to also have friends come and be a part of our life here.

Our ride to the airport train comes in less than 5 hours, and most of the packing is complete. Thankfully, my parents took home two huge suitcases when they came in April. I realize now that there is no way we would be able to haul all of our junk back home without having had their help. Mom and dad, thanks again for lugging our stuff around because I know it wasn't fun. :)

These past two days have consisted of several "lasts," most of which I am glad to see go. Our shower here is less than satisfactory, so, needless to say, I bid good riddance to it this afternoon, and I doubt I will ever look back. I rode on the bus and U-bahn within the city for the last time, and I probably will miss public transportation once I start paying for gas again. However, I will not miss being able to get places in the exact time it takes to drive...no more waiting for buses or planning an errand around the bus schedule. I cannot imagine having children here, especially young ones, and being dependent on public transportation. One day, I will remind myself of this. I used Skype to call someone, and I'm excited to have a cell phone where the conversation is not hindered by a bad connection...well, at least for the most part.

As I stand in this place of leaving our temporary home and returning to a place of familiarity, I am filled with a sense of gratefulness for this entire experience. I would not trade any challenging moments or times of joy that we have been fortunate to have in Vienna. At the same time, I cannot act as if I am not glad to be moving on, because I am. We have been blessed. For the rest of our lives, we will always have Vienna, but for now, I say, "Auf Wiedersehen, Wien."

2 comments:

Nick and Leslie said...

So glad you are coming home! Call me when you get a chance- we really need to catch up!

dw hicks said...

I know you are glad to get back home, but I'm sad your European Adventure is over! I've been living vicariously through you guys for the past few months. What an amazing experience you all have had!